Sunday 16 January 2011

A Bibliography of Tench



As a child, tench were always my favourite fish. To this day they still hold a fascination with me and I always enjoy reading about them. There have not been all that many books devoted entirely to the species, my list below containing just seventeen titles. Most of these are fairly easily available from a good fishing book dealer though expect to pay a decent price for the two Fred Taylor books. The only one you may have a little trouble finding is D.R. Wakefield's 'The Diary and Observations of a Tench Fisher'. A slim book published in 1981 by the Chevington Press. As far as I can tell the entire edition was limited to just 50 copies bound in quarter-leather and printed on hand-made paper. Most of these seem to be in the hands of art collectors rather than fisherman. I have only ever seen one copy for sale and that was being advertised in excess of £900. Needless to say this is one book I don't have in my collection. One day.....

UPDATE 02/09/11 - There's currently a copy of Wakefield's book available in America for the princely sum of $2500 (£1580ish). Don't think my pockets stretch that deep.

Click here to go back to the list of all reviews.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    If you have any comments or anything to add to this review then please feel free to do so.